The 10 Commandments of Choosing Color
Selecting colours takes courage — and best done with lots of cups of tea (or bubbly). Here are the 10 things I recommend to make sure your color choices are spot on.
- To Each Their Own: Be authentic to yourself, as what really matters is how you respond to it. If the colour works for you, it’s right!
- Feel it Out: Ask yourself lots of questions about the experience you want to have within that particular space. What colours come to mind for you personally that create that feeling. That’s the best starting point and will lead you to making authentic choices.
- Identify Inspiration: What is the colour “driver”? That one ‘thing’ that you knew to be the engine starter, inspiration and energy instigator. It could be in the form of fabric, tile, flowers, paper … absolutely anything! Once you’ve found it, you’ll know it.
- Colour Questions: Color is never seen in isolation – it is always in a relationship with something else, so the question is: what kind of relationship do you want to have with colour? Dramatic, bold, energizing, neutral, quiet, calm, etc. Write out a list of words to best describe this for yourself.
- Exploration: We often imitate before we can innovate, so resource through as many areas as possible for ideas. Magazines, movie sets, art and nature…. get out there and explore.
- Form & Function: What is the function of the room? Is it used mostly day or nighttime? Ask yourself why you want to have that experience in order to broaden your vision and consider other contributing colour elements.
Break it Down: Break colour down into manageable components considering your space like Paint by Numbers. Pair surfaces together as you build your palette (i.e. ceilings/floors). This concept helps you layer the colours while exploring the relationships between them.
- Let it Flow: Consider threading one colour throughout your entire home – one that links all of the rooms, varying from being a full on broad stroke to barely traceable. Your eye will always find it and it will help your color transition easily from room to room.
- Attention to Accents: All colour schemes are improved by accents, the final touches of colour that add an element of surprise, and bring rooms to life. Introduce colour accents with pillows or unique tabletop accessories – these will help tell your individual style story.
Simple Surprises: Use colour in unexpected places, behind closed doors, inside cabinets, drawers and closets. All those tucked away places that provide an element of surprise once revealed. Much like having a beautiful lining inside your coat.
Colors do not transition from home to home in the same way, so be mindful of using the same palette all the time. New spaces warrant new colour consideration.
I’m happy to assist with your color questions. Just add a comment in the area below.