Create an Inspiring Meditation Area in 5 Easy Steps
Do you often find yourself saying: where did the time go, how is it another week…another year? If we don’t take the time to stop and take moments to “be present,” it’s likely that time will lead the way for us, and we’ll wake up one day wondering how life has passed us by. Setting aside time and space to reflect and be in the moment will help you become more intentional in your daily life.
Plus, meditation is said to reverse the effects of aging on the brain. Read this article here on how Steve Jobs had the mind of a 27-year-old due to meditation. It takes practice, but with benefits like increased peace, gratitude, and overall wellbeing, it’s certainly worth it!
View more inspiring meditations rooms on the decoist here:
If you’re looking to create a sacred space in your home, consider these 5 steps:
- Create a purpose for your area. When looking for your sacred space to do yoga, guided meditations, or simply be still, it’s essential to define its purpose. Whether it’s a separate room, your office, or even the closet (get creative), make sure you set your intention (“I will come here to be still, to practice gratitude, to pray,” etc.).
- Dedicate a space. A meditation area does not have to take up an entire room. Choose a space that has natural lighting, and that feels good to you, no matter how big or small. Make sure that you’ve communicated to your family that it’s a sacred space intended for quiet time only.
- Get creative. Don't let the size of your space deter you. Sometimes the only available spot might be a very visible one, so feel free to decorate it in a way that appeals to your overall design style. Look for areas by the window, a cozy corner, or even a closet!
- De-clutter. Keep the area uncluttered and free of distractions so you can fully focus on stillness and simplicity.
- Add personal touches. Though the space should be kept relatively minimal, it’s helpful and comforting to add accents like pillows or candles. Make sure whatever you add brings you joy and is meaningful to you in some way. Other items to consider: a singing bowl, meditation beads, a buddha statue, and organic essential oils.